Recent wines tasted on CellarTracker

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Porters Martinborough Pinot Noir 2002, New Zealand


Pale garnet in colour, with an aroma reminiscent of spearmint and summer berries. The mouth-feel is light and delicate, lulling the imbiber into a false sense of security before the glorious palate explodes. Cherries, rich chocolate notes and a subtle woodiness, with smooth tannins that have opened out very nicely as the wine has aged. The acidity is gentle, and complements the fruit well. Robust at 13.5% alcohol, but exceedingly well-balanced in my opinion.

This wine is generally described as past its best now, and was apparently drinking well up to 2008. My first taste of it blew me away and I can safely say it's the nicest red I have ever consumed. I was fortunate enough to be given a case that I've been slowly savouring, and decided to open a bottle today to see if it has declined at all. I can honestly say it tastes as good today as it did when I first enjoyed it 18 months or so ago.

A definite 5* wine for me, and any lover of Pinot Noir made in the Burgundy style would probably be happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment